Swinton Lock Activity Centre is a registered charity providing learning, educational, support and social activities for children, young people and adults. We are based adjacent to the South Yorkshire Canal and also own a narrowboat that we use for training and a wide-beam boat which is fully accessible. Both boats are used to offer boat handling courses, volunteering opportunities and pleasure trips.
Presently we offer the following –
• A re-engagement programme for children and young people of secondary school age who are struggling to engage or have been excluded or are at risk of being excluded from mainstream education, a diverse programme of activities and qualifications are offered as an alternative learning provision.
• After school activity club, which is currently funded by Children in Need for children aged 6 to 16 years supporting children and young people with a disability or learning need. This can also include children at risk of social isolation and young carers.
• A programme of activities for adults which current includes, pottery and fine art (painting and drawing); please contact us to find out current classes.
• The centre has a facility for training people from 14 and above (as per NCBA guidance), to become competent boat handlers for their own personal benefit, there are also volunteering opportunities available on our training and trip boats subject to meeting the centres’ requirements.
• The opportunity to hire our fully crewed fully inclusive wide-beamed boat for pleasure, please contact the centre for further details and availability.
• Further volunteering opportunities are available including groundwork and fundraising roles. Please contact us for further details.
• In addition to the above we also work with vulnerable adults, victims of abuse and their families, please contact us for more information about the support and advocacy services we offer.